Sunday, September 21, 2008

Mena, part II

Well, we had to do it - Mena is gone.  I can't believe how quickly it went from my calling the vet about her having (what I thought was) a cold or pneumonia to our having to put her to sleep.  When I brought her home from the hospital Saturday, she was doing okay (just okay, though) and we thought we had a week or so.  We went for a walk, and she was really slow, but still in great spirits.  Although she was still putting on a happy face, she was deteriorating really quickly.

Last night she didn't really move a lot.  Going up and down the stairs was tough for her, and she didn't sleep much at all.  At about 1am she came to lay by my side of the bed.  When she woke me up at about 4am, I decided to get up with her and we cuddled downstairs for a while.  Once everyone got up we had our usual morning routine, called a friend to watch the kids, we all said our goodbyes, and we took her in.  The place was very nice, and we were with her until the very end.

No comments: