Sunday, March 29, 2009

Toast

When I think of weekend breakfasts, I think of cooking up a nice big family meal, bringing it out, and serving it up to everyone. We all have a fun time and get going with our day.

Unfortunately, that's not the way it goes. Despite my best offers, the kids only seem to want cold cereal. At our house it consists of about 70% cheerios, 15% raisin bran, and 15% froot loops. It doesn't matter what Sharon and I are having, they want cold cereal (with an occasional request for oatmeal thrown in to confuse me).

This weekend began no differently. I made 2 bowls of cereal and 2 plates of eggs, sausage (vegetarian), and toast. We started eating, and both kids began begging for eggs. But not the kind we had - they wanted yellow eggs (we had spinach in ours). Okay, Sharon cooked some. While she did that, Matthew was begging for toast. Fine, it's only fair to serve them the "real" breakfast, right?

Matthew got his and promptly singsonged, "I don't want toast!"

Sharon pointed out, "You don't have to eat it...but you asked for it."

Then, putting something together in his head, he asked, "Am I sick?"

Ahh, the brain of a 2 year old.

No comments: